CalFresh, EBT or SNAP is a food grant program in the state of California that can stretch your food resources. It won’t affect your existing financial aid and you don’t need your parent’s tax returns to apply.
The average eligible student gets $234 (up to $250) each month in benefits which can be used at select locations and stores. To find locations that accept CalFresh within the USC Lyft area, click here
All students must meet income and social security guidelines. The following qualifications are a good indicator of eligibility:
- Qualified for Federal or State Work-Study
- EFC of $0
- Working 20+ hours a week
- Receiving a Cal Grant
Find more qualification information at https://calfresh.guide/special-rules-for-students/
Find more information here: https://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources/calfresh-resource-center/policy
How to apply:
- Visit https://www.getcalfresh.org/students
- Make sure to provide the following verification documents (which can also be uploaded after submitting your application):
- Proof of identification (Birth certificate, passport, California State ID or Driver’s License)
- Proof of attendance at USC (A pdf copy of your financial aid summary page)
- Proof of rent (This can be the housing part of financial aid summary or lease agreement)
- Ensure the document is dated with the amount paid, and contact info for the payee
- Proof of Income (Most recent pay stub received from employer(s) usually for last month)
- Work-Study verification
- Social Security Number (card not necessary)
- CalFresh Student Exemption Form (if applicable). Download the form here.
- You’ll get a call from CalFresh in a couple of days to verify your situation.
- If approved, with no county delays, you’ll get money within 30 days through an electronic benefits transfer card (EBT).
Need assistance applying? Use our step-by-step video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fYkVo2u-cPxdK7pcYz2Qo1m8qNC2knmR/view
Virtual CalFresh Appointments
USC Student Basic Needs is working in collaboration with RISE to offer virtual CalFresh appointments. If you are a domestic student who is in need of CalFresh application support, please book an appointment with a USC Calfresh Navigator via Zoom.